I live for the holidays, it’s what I look forward to every year. Why? Well besides the obvious — spending time with family and friends, shopping for presents, holiday decorations — it’s the FOOD. The yummy turkey, candied yams, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes … I could go on forever but I’ll risk sounding like a porker today.
With that being said, the holidays is also the easiest way to pack on the pounds (I know, life is cruel) with all the holiday office parties, family functions — it’s inevitable! So what better way to help your friends and family from pulling out their fat pants than making these Mini Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes?
Sure that Uncle Michael might eat half the batch but for everyone else out there it’s nice to have a tiny dessert to end the meal opposed to a heaping plate of pie cake trifle …(not that I would judge you if you did ) This dessert is the perfect bite — with a moist tender crumb and the mixture of spices topped with a decadent cream cheese frosting, I guess I wouldn’t expect anything less from the fabulous Martha Stewart.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes: Makes 18; Prep time: 25 minutes Total Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together, brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and eggs. Add dry ingredients, and whisk until smooth. Whisk in pumpkin puree.
- Divide batter evenly among liners (I used mini cupcake liners but you can use regular liners as well), filling each about halfway. Bake until tops spring back when touched, and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pans once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
- Read more at Marthastewart.com: Pumpkin Cupcakes – Martha Stewart Recipes
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting: frosts 18-24 cupcakes, 50-60 mini cupcakes
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 sticks butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
Cream butter and vanilla in a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, once butter is fluffy gradually add in the sugar until well mixed. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Once chilled place frosting in pastry bag and ice the cupcakes using an open star pastry tip. Top with graham cracker crumbles or pumpkin granola or candied pecans.